Your town. Your news. Your take.

Local News: Franconia, NH 

 | 

Sign Up

 | 

Sign In

 
Advertisment

Where is MAURA MURRAY

Comments (Page 505)

Showing posts 10081 - 10100 of 11997
« prev | next »
Go to last post | Jump to page:
Quija

Concord, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10152
Wednesday Dec 17
 

Judged:

1

whiston, whitewash, mason, firecat, snowy, advocator, et al --- thanks for responding. I am finally "getting" that Maura's disappearance involved more than ONE variable. I think a number of directions we've been pursuing contributed to the tragedy: previous events in Maura's life at WP and UMass, basic personal characteristics such as valuing achievement and reputation, assistance or some awareness from a family member regarding her departure, and finally (did not want to accept this part), an unexpected abduction.

“ Adopt Shelter Animals ”

Joined: Jun 12, 2008

Comments: 425

Danvers, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10153
Wednesday Dec 17
 
Mason wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks. Will do what I can, but still need birth place and time.
Maura is exactly one year, one month, and one day younger than my daughter and they look alike.
my daughter, too, is same month and day.
being the first of my 3, the birthday is still magical to me.
White Wash

Lebanon, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10154
Wednesday Dec 17
 
Yea sorry it is but very excited someone learned something in the photo world!
Very Cool!
FireCat wrote:
<quoted text>
Mason, thanks for the info for the non-initiated.(White Wash is a professional photographer, though, so presumably this is old news to her!)
White Wash

Lebanon, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10155
Wednesday Dec 17
 
FireCat and I both could have the same cameras
same subject to shoot and they still would
be different!
Life if a variable so there has got to be more than one for this case!
2 in my personal opinion Maura and one other
for sure!
Quija wrote:
whiston, whitewash, mason, firecat, snowy, advocator, et al --- thanks for
responding. I am finally "getting" that Maura's disappearance involved more than ONE variable. I think a number of directions we've been pursuing contributed to the tragedy: previous events in Maura's life at WP and UMass, basic personal characteristics such as valuing achievement and reputation, assistance or some awareness from a family member regarding her departure, and finally (did not want to accept this part), an unexpected abduction.

Joined: Nov 24, 2008

Comments: 360

Bristol, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10156
Wednesday Dec 17
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Mason wrote:
Regarding the photo:
I confess not have read the posts on the photo with my usual thoroughness, which I'm going to go back and do.
If you're referring to a photo you saw on-line, the version you likely saw was a JPEG of the original. It's customary to copy the original in a JPEG format because it substantially reduces the resolution of the original thereby making it suitable to post on the web. The size of the file for the original might be, for example, 10 megabytes while the JPEG might be 500 Kb to 1 MB. They do this so that it doesn't take a long time to download the file. Otherwise, you might sit at your computer for awhile, run an errand, and return to see the picture incrementally still building, depending on your download speed.
You can contact the owner of the photo and purchase an exact copy of the original at the same resolution, or if you have Adobe Photoshop, you can copy the JPEG, change it to a TIFF, and then increase the resolution while sharpening the image contrast and brightness so that you can make-out the finer details that appear blurry in the JPEG.
JPEG files have dot jpg appended to the file name. TIFFs have dot TFF appended.
Pretty amazing what you can do.
M
Hi Mason,

Not trying to pick nits but JPEG is almost always used as a lossy format. That means that when you transfer a file from a non-lossy format such as forms of GIF and BMP and some versions of TIFF files you have lost content. You can change them back to TIFF or GIF or BMP but will never get back the lost information in the picture. JPEG works because its data loss is adjustable and can be regulated so the eye at a given resolution is very acceptable, especially considering the space savings that you can get. The problem like I said is you can never recover the lost information and this lost information becomes very apparent when you try to zoom into the picture to get more detail. Its then that you realize what you lost and that you start seeing the artifacts of the JPEG format. That blocky appearance.

I know it probably is picking nits because you sound like you are saying it correctly but it actually diddles the resolution in different areas of the photo to change areas of the photo in a manner that your eye canít tell. That reduces the size with no apparent change in the photo. Unless you try to zoom in to look for detail. Then you see how hammered the photo really is.

I use to write encoder/decoders for JPEG, JFIF, GIF, RLE, BMP and other formats back in the early to late 80ís.

Bill

“top editor bristol ”

Joined: Feb 26, 2008

Comments: 890

bristol

ISP: Goffstown, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10157
Wednesday Dec 17
 

Judged:

1

1

1

White Wash wrote:
You did post it!
I for one am glad you did!
Thanks!
Now we can get back to Maura.
Let start seeing what fits and
doesn't with the time lines!
It's a case not a fairy tale of beliefs!
<quoted text>
you are a dope

“top editor bristol ”

Joined: Feb 26, 2008

Comments: 890

bristol

ISP: Goffstown, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10158
Wednesday Dec 17
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Mason wrote:
<quoted text>
Quija,
I honor you for having the courage to post this message.
Thank-you,
M
you are both dopes
Mason

Paducah, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10159
Wednesday Dec 17
 

Judged:

1

1

WTF,

Keep challenging those of us who resort to using tools for which you have no respect. Your passionate defense of an ordered and material Newtonian universe is needed for balance and structure to our discussions.

You are what the ancients (as Jung would have explained in modern terms) would call the embodiment of the mythological Saturn archetype.

With considerable respect,

M
Quija

Concord, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10160
Wednesday Dec 17
 

Judged:

1

1

johneyonetime wrote:
<quoted text>you are a dope
i'm sorry! i never respond to this stuff! but... hahahahaha.... this just struck me as hilarious. And in so many ways I AM a dope.

BUT --- your address is Goffstown, which is where the CW graduated highschool in 1980!!!! Do you know something?(I sure don't)
Mason

Paducah, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10161
Wednesday Dec 17
 
WTF-the-original wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Mason,
Not trying to pick nits but JPEG is almost always used as a lossy format. That means that when you transfer a file from a non-lossy format such as forms of GIF and BMP and some versions of TIFF files you have lost content. You can change them back to TIFF or GIF or BMP but will never get back the lost information in the picture. JPEG works because its data loss is adjustable and can be regulated so the eye at a given resolution is very acceptable, especially considering the space savings that you can get. The problem like I said is you can never recover the lost information and this lost information becomes very apparent when you try to zoom into the picture to get more detail. Its then that you realize what you lost and that you start seeing the artifacts of the JPEG format. That blocky appearance.
I know it probably is picking nits because you sound like you are saying it correctly but it actually diddles the resolution in different areas of the photo to change areas of the photo in a manner that your eye canít tell. That reduces the size with no apparent change in the photo. Unless you try to zoom in to look for detail. Then you see how hammered the photo really is.
I use to write encoder/decoders for JPEG, JFIF, GIF, RLE, BMP and other formats back in the early to late 80ís.
Bill
Thanks for correcting me on that. I didn't quite understand how JPEG was reducing the file size so dramatically.

Is there any way to obtain a copy of the photograph that people have been discussing -- a copy in the same format as the original?

M
Mason

Paducah, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10162
Wednesday Dec 17
 
johneyonetime wrote:
<quoted text>you are both dopes
I thought we were dupes.

Welcome aboard, mate.

M
Mason

Paducah, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10163
Wednesday Dec 17
 
Ah, yes. The material dimension of space-time is calling. Gotta run some errands. Back later.

M

“ Adopt Shelter Animals ”

Joined: Jun 12, 2008

Comments: 425

Danvers, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10164
Wednesday Dec 17
 

Judged:

1

Mason ~
To challenge is to process and progress...but why must you ask for/demand "respect" for your set of tools?
Let me decide if I respect you or your beliefs, preferably without consequence....and vice versa.

As I said before, if I want it, I'll seek it.
If I don't want to be sold religion, politics or mysticism I won't be buying it.
Quija

Concord, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10165
Wednesday Dec 17
 
Johnyonetime,

A group of dupes, jumping through hoops for scoops, but perpetually in loops.

So... what was it that made you want to join the coop?

Man, you can add something because at least you're a local!!

quij
FireCat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10166
Wednesday Dec 17
 
White Wash wrote:
FireCat and I both could have the same cameras
same subject to shoot and they still would
be different!
Hear, hear. It's called "perspective.
FireCat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10167
Wednesday Dec 17
 

Judged:

1

1

Benji, you have been reported for abuse again. That's disgusting and pathological.
FireCat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10168
Wednesday Dec 17
 
Mason wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for correcting me on that. I didn't quite understand how JPEG was reducing the file size so dramatically.
Is there any way to obtain a copy of the photograph that people have been discussing -- a copy in the same format as the original?
M
Presumably we could ask the artist.
Quija

Concord, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10169
Wednesday Dec 17
 

Judged:

1

1

johneyonetime wrote:
<quoted text>you are both dopes
hey johnny -- in terms of posting here, make it more than one/two times. Most of us don't know anything so we're speculating, talking through our hats.(I could tell you knew that.) We need your point of view.(Although, personally, I'd've been happier if you responded to what I said in a slightly more tactful and diplomatic way, like, "Dearest Quij, You and the others are lacking in cerebral mass...) So, join the fray --- why not? Everyone else is beginning to tell it like it is. Things are beginning to happen here.

Back to snow shoveling and wondering about Maura...

“ Adopt Shelter Animals ”

Joined: Jun 12, 2008

Comments: 425

Danvers, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10170
Wednesday Dec 17
 

Judged:

1

1

White Wash wrote:
Ok we don't seem to be on the same page!
So let's try!
First off Eleswhere comment was directed to
more of Fred's reaction given the situation.
I for one have had a loved one missing!
So that was my reply to Elsewhere.
Second my question is still how can do the ole squaw walk be taken out of context when Fred Murray had to explain it HPD?
My question was and is for someone to explain if
Maura was not depressed why would Fred even have
such a thought??
Bottom line for me is this doesn't fit!
If it fits for you fine!
So let's move on.
<quoted text>
.....becaaaauuuussssse he might have been searching his mind and heart for ANY possibility or explanation for her sudden disappearance and uncharacteristic departure, just as we do here.

and he might have been thinking out loud.

he might have hoped their previous conversations weren't taken seriously by her as to do such a thing as the "old squaw walk".
White Wash

Lebanon, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10171
Wednesday Dec 17
 
For me if HPD had said we found this book and he went OH MY GOD I hope she isn't doing the old squaw walk" but still would need to explain
it to HPD wouldn't he.

How would anyone know what the "the old squaw walk" meant without an explanation?

But it still is implying Maura was upset enough to
end her family.

Or I'm still waiting for someone to come with another context for it.

Being the dope I am will just sit in the corner till some big bad name calling whimp let's me out!

Guess your Mother didn't tell you stick and stones break bones but words can't never hurt you!

Thanks Mom and most people call me a B**** but thanks for the laugh! People like you crack me!
What makes anyone draw any self worth from this
site?
Pleassssssssssssssssse!
Snowy White wrote:
<quoted text>
.....becaaaauuuussssse he might have been searching his mind and heart for ANY possibility or explanation for her sudden disappearance and uncharacteristic departure, just as we do here.
and he might have been thinking out loud.
he might have hoped their previous conversations weren't taken seriously by her as to do such a thing as the "old squaw walk".
Showing posts 10081 - 10100 of 11997
« prev | next »
Go to last post | Jump to page:
Type in your comments to post to the forum
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Franconia Discussions

Search the Franconia Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Sentencing deal off for Franconia man 7 hr Snowy White 83
2 held in Haverhill death Fri alichar 127
King bash here (from Jul '08) Thu Snowy White 2116
Rumble in Woodsville? Jan 8 lower slower... 79
Normand M. Boisvert of Easton and Other Sex Off... Jan 2 yankee 28
spies who love you Jan 1 johneyonetime 1
Poll: is cable tv over priced Dec 31 johneyonetime 0
See all threads in the Franconia forum »